Once you have the house, it may need rehabbing. Or you may be someone who’s business is rehabbing homes for resale. This page is provided for you.
- For the Rehabber
For the Rehabber
Theft Prevention During Rehab
The following actions have been very successful over many years.
- Secure the structure: board up windows and back door FROM THE INSIDE; set screws deeply
- Immediately clean up yard and trim back bushes
- Secure front door with heavy duty storm door and multiple pad locks
- Turn on the electricity (takes three or four days)
- Set up “Simpli Safe” or similar interior alarm system ($350 at big box stores)
- Connects to cell phone and Patrol Division
- Each contractor has his or her own code; Rehabber is alerted when subcontractors code in (also lets rehabber know what time they start work)
- Uses multiple alarm systems in large structures to ensure all doors and windows are alarmed.
- Use only plastic plumbing PEX.
- Introduce self to neighbors; offer $100 if they report a break in as it is happening.
- Don’t install furnace unless it is winter and contractors need it; wait until occupied
- Place alarm sign on exterior.