The Blue Hills neighborhood name is connected with the Blue Hills Country Club, which was in the southern part of the neighborhood from 1912 until 1963, when it moved south to the area near 127th and Wornall. Prior to it becoming a Country Club, the site was used for horse racing at the Elm Ridge Racetrack beginning in 1904. That only lasted a couple years because, inconveniently, the state outlawed horse racing in 1906.
Most of the homes in Blue Hills were built in the 1910s and 1920s. From its early years until the 1960s nearly all of the residents of Blue Hills were white and most were working class. In the early 1960s, the racial composition of the neighborhood changed and by the 1970s more than 95% of Blue Hills residents were African-American.